Magic Cake - the magic of this cake is you only prepare one batter, but you'll get 3 layers after baking, dense layer at the bottom, custard layer in the middle and soft sponge cake at the top.
Recipe: (for 8" x 8" square cake tin)
(A) Egg White - 4 nos
Cream of tartar - pinch
Castor Sugar - 30g
(B) Egg Yolk - 4 nos
Water - 1 Tbsp
Castor Sugar - 70g
Melted Butter - 125g
Cake Flour - 115g
(C) Milk (lukewarm) - 500g
Vanilla Pod - 1 no
1. Cut the vanilla pod into half, scrap out the vanilla seeds, add both pod and seeds to the milk, set aside for 2 hours. Sieve and warm up the milk.
2. Beat egg white and cream of tartar, gradually add in sugar, beat until stiff, set aside.
3. Beat egg yolk, sugar and water until fluffy. Add in melted butter, follow by flour and lastly add the lukewarm milk.
4. Add 1/3 of the egg white into egg yolk mixture. Mix well. Now, pour the egg yolk mixture to egg white in 2 batches. Combine evenly.
5. Pour the mixture into a 8" x 8" cake pan which is line with aluminium foil.
6. Bake at 150C for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven, cool on wire rack. Chill for 2-3 hours until custard is set.
8. Sprinkle some icing sugar on top, serve cold.